This program was developed for 62+ year old individuals interested in improving their fitness level, function, strength, balance, posture, and overall well-being. Participants attend 2 days per week for 8 weeks. Participants will be oriented to strength & cardiovascular equipment and exercises to improve posture, balance and flexibility.
You're never too old to start - read Margaret Rookes story.
Functional Fitness for Older Adults can also help participants combat the detrimental physical and cognitive effects of aging such as:
- Muscle loss (sarcopenia)
- Compromised balance and reaction time
- Bone loss (osteopenia & osteoporosis)
- Decreased muscular endurance & energy
- Decreased flexibility
- Worsened posture
- Increased frailty
- Memory loss
Research demonstrates that regular exercise is very effective in reducing some of the negative physical, cognitive and emotional effects of aging. (ACSM, 2012).
The FFOA program is a supervised group gym experience. Our professional Fitness Specialists supervise and assist participants as they move independently from one activity or machine to another. You will learn exercises to improve your strength, endurance, coordination, balance, reaction time and flexibility. All in an effort to improve your overall function, confidence and quality of life. Each session meets 2 times per week for 8 weeks on the following days.
Monday & Wednesday Program times
8:30 - 10am, 9:30am - 11am, 10:30am - 12pm, or 1pm - 2:30pm
Tuesday & Thursday Program times
9:30am - 11am, 10:30am - 12pm, or 1pm - 2:30pm
Note: All participants have access to the studio during “open gym” hours while enrolled in the FFOA program.
Mon-Thursday 7am - 7pm
Friday 7am - 6pm
Saturday 8am - 1pm
Criteria for admission:
62 years of age and older (exceptions may be considered)
Participants must be able understand and retain verbal and visual instruction, and walk with or without a cane or walker.
Written exercise clearance from your doctor is required prior to your initial fitness assessment
Completion of a health history intake form, signed release and fitness assessment.
If you have any questions regarding your ability to participate in this program please call us at 734-232-1196. Space is limited.
- An initial fitness assessment to measure your fitness level in the areas of strength, cardiovascular endurance, flexibility, balance and agility.
- An initial consultation with a degreed Exercise Specialist to review your health history, exercise experience, fitness and functional goals.
- Two supervised group exercise classes per week for 8 weeks. Open gym hours available as well.
- Orientation and on-going instruction on exercise equipment including strength, treadmills, NuSteps, recumbent and upright stationary bikes, elliptical, bands, balls, free weights, etc.
- On-going introduction to home exercises to improve balance, posture, coordination and flexibility.
$175.00 (initial fee)
UMHS Department of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
Transitions Training Studio
325 East Eisenhower Parkway
Garden Level, Suite 12
Ann Arbor, MI 48108
We accept checks, Visa, MasterCard & Discover
Sorry, we do not accept insurance
Prices are subject to change without notice