This program was developed for 65+ year old individuals interested in improving their fitness level, function, strength balance, posture, and overall well-being. Participants attend 2 days per week for 8 weeks. Participants will be oriented to strength & cardiovascular equipment and exercises to improve posture, balance and flexibility.
You're never too old to start - read Margaret Rookes story.
Functional Fitness for Older Adults is an exercise program that was developed to help participants combat the detrimental physical and cognitive effects of aging such as:
- Muscle loss (sarcopenia)
- Compromised balance and reaction time
- Bone loss (osteopenia & osteoporosis)
- Decreased muscular endurance & energy
- Decreased flexibility
- Worsened posture
- Increased frailty
- Memory loss
Research demonstrates that regular exercise is very effective in reducing some of the negative physical, cognitive and emotional effects of aging. (ACSM, 2012).
Our 8-week FUNctional Fitness for Older Adults (FFOA) exercise class is designed to improve your overall function, health, independence and quality of life. You will learn exercises to improve your strength, endurance, coordina-tion, balance, reaction time and flexibility.
The FFOA class is a supervised gym program that requires each person to move from one piece of equipment to another independently. Our Fitness Specialists supervise and assist participants as they train on equipment. We also include a variety of exercises that improve strength, balance, and coordination that can be performed in the studio and home. Each class meets for approximately 60-90 minutes, 2 times per week for 8 weeks on the following days.
You can register for a Monday and Wednesday class or a Tuesday and Thursday class.
Monday & Wednesday Classes
8:30 - 10am, 9:30am - 11am, 10:30am - 12pm, or 1pm - 2:30pm
Tuesday & Thursday Classes
9:30am - 11am, 10:30am - 12pm, or 1pm - 2:30pm
Note: All participants have access to the studio during “open gym” hours while enrolled in the class. Open gym hours are:
Mon-Thurs 7am - 10am
12pm - 1pm
2pm - 7pm
Friday 7am - 6pm
Criteria for admission:
62 years of age and older (exceptions may be considered)
Participants must be able understand and retain verbal and visual instruction, and walk with or without a cane or walker.
Written exercise clearance from your doctor is required prior to your initial fitness assessment
Completion of a health history intake form, signed release and fitness assessment.
If you have any questions regarding your ability to participate in this program please call us at 734-232-1196. Space is limited.
- An initial fitness assessment to measure your fitness level in the areas of strength, cardiovascular endurance, flexibility, balance and agility.
- An initial consultation with a degreed Exercise Specialist to review your health history, exercise experience, fitness and functional goals.
- Two supervised group exercise classes per week for 8 weeks. Open gym hours available as well.
- Orientation and on-going instruction on exercise equipment including strength, treadmills, NuSteps, recumbent and upright stationary bikes, elliptical, bands, balls, free weights, etc.
- On-going introduction to home exercises to improve balance, posture, coordination and flexibility.
$175.00 (initial fee)
UMHS Department of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
Transitions Training Studio
325 East Eisenhower Parkway
Garden Level, Suite 12
Ann Arbor, MI 48108
We accept checks, Visa, MasterCard & Discover
Sorry, we do not accept insurance
Prices are subject to change without notice